"Not only can we now detect lung cancer at an early stage when it is curable, but with our multidisciplinary approach, our team can help patients modify their risk factors."
Lung cancer kills more people in the U.S. than any other cancer. Every day, Loma Linda University Health works to change that.
We offer our patients not only the most advanced screening, diagnostic and treatment techniques available, but also whole-person care. Our lung cancer care takes into account the mental, emotional and spiritual damage that comes with this diagnosis.
Cancers and Conditions We Treat
The Lung Cancer Program at Loma Linda University Health treats all types of lung cancer, including:
- Small cell lung cancer
- Non-small cell lung cancer, including squamous cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma and large cell lung cancer
- Metastatic lung tumors from other cancers
- Pulmonary neuroendocrine tumors
- Mediastinal tumors
- Rare tumors (like thymomas)
Why Choose Us for Lung Cancer Care
- Leaders in our field: We’re the only regional hospital with radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, thoracic surgeons, and interventional pulmonologists specializing in lung cancer care.
- Comprehensive, expert services: Our lung cancer program includes integrated surgical services. You don’t have to go elsewhere to see your thoracic (chest) surgeon. Here, more than two dozen lung cancer specialists collaborate to provide a treatment pathway for your unique case. You get the right types of treatment at the right time.
- Offering leading-edge treatments: Our cancer research programs continually develop and refine innovative cancer treatments, including proton therapy and precision therapies.
- Specialty programs: Our lung cancer program is unique in integrating in-house symptom management experts from the beginning of treatment, providing better comfort and outcomes. Our Transdisciplinary Tobacco Research Program provides foundational knowledge for lung cancer prevention and treatment through basic science research.
Treatment for Lung Cancer
The most important aspect of lung cancer treatment is efficient diagnosing and staging as well as timely treatment. Our Cancer Center has experts in multiple disciplines devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer in a multi-modal fashion. In other words, multiple advanced techniques are used to both diagnose and treat your lung cancer. This results in the best chance of survival. Treatment is much more effective when, for example, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery are combined — instead of just chemotherapy. Using these and other treatment types, a custom treatment plan is designed by an entire team of lung cancer specialists.
Loma Linda University Health also translates innovative lung cancer research into highly effective treatments on a regular basis. Our patients have access to the best treatment techniques, including the latest targeted therapies and immunotherapy.