Surgical oncology is the removal of cancerous tumors from the body using surgery. Surgical options for treating cancer have been proven to be successful in destroying cancerous tumors.
Our surgical oncologists (doctors who treat cancer) will work with you to determine the proper course of treatment based on your individual needs.
Why Choose Us
- Collaborative approach to care: Our surgical oncologists work closely with our collaborative team of cancer specialists to ensure your best health outcome remains the priority throughout your course of treatment.
- Tumor boards: Our panels of cancer experts coordinate with physicians from various disciplines, including medical and radiation oncology, to properly assess and implement your treatment plan.
- Access to innovative research and expertise: As an academic medical center, we train future surgical oncologists and conduct innovative cancer research and clinical trials. This type of expert access ensures that you receive top-quality, advanced care no matter your treatment plan.
- Whole-person care and support: In addition to our advanced surgical procedures, we offer whole-person support for mind, body and spirit during your care experience.
Conditions We Treat
Surgical oncology generally treats the following types of cancer:
- Gastrointestinal cancer – cancers affecting the stomach, intestine, pancreas, colon, liver, rectum, and anus
- Endocrine cancer – cancers affecting the thyroid, adrenal, pancreas, parathyroid, and pituitary glands
- Skin cancer
- Soft tissue cancer – cancers affecting the muscles, tendons, fat, lymph, blood vessels, and nerves
Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
HIPEC is an advanced, two-step treatment that includes surgery and chemotherapy for abdominal cancers.
During just one procedure, the oncologist surgically removes the cancer tumor and then directly treats any remaining cancer cells with targeted chemotherapy.
Take the Next Step
When you are diagnosed with cancer, you want treatment from an expert team you can trust. You may be referred to the Loma Linda University Cancer Center by your primary care physician or an emergency department. For more information, please call 1-800-78-CANCER (800-782-2623).