Your health and safety is still our top priority. Appointments are available as video visits, phone calls or in-person visits as needed, with the same safe, world-class care you expect.
Loma Linda University Cancer Center is the only cancer treatment center in the region that performs Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC).
What are the benefits of HIPEC treatment?
- Treatment option for those with peritoneal spread of cancer from the appendix, colon and stomach, peritoneal mesothelioma and primary peritoneal malignancy
- Single treatment instead of the standard weeks or months of chemotherapy
- Treatment goes directly to the cancer area minimizing the risks of toxicity and side effects
- Allows a higher dose to be given just to the affected area, more effectively killing any remaining or lingering cancer cells
What cancers can be treated with HIPEC?
HIPEC man be used to treat appendix cancer, colon cancer, stomach cancer, peritoneal mesothelioma, primary peritoneal malignancy.
How does HIPEC work?
HIPEC is the chemotherapy component of a surgical procedure called Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS).
- Surgery involves the removal of all tumor masses and the affected abdominal wall lining (peritoneum).
- Heated chemotherapy is then delivered directly to the affected area for up to 90 minutes via special catheters and heated perfusion pumps.
- Chemotherapy is then removed and the abdomen is flushed out with sterile solution.
For certain types of appendiceal cancer, cytosurgery with HIPEC is the only treatment required to adequately treat the cancer. Cytosurgery applies intense cold to destroy unwanted tissue.