important update

To ensure the health and safety of our community, the Medicare Education Seminars will now be offered online. Call 1-866-LLU-CARE (1-866-558-2273) to speak to a member services representative at Managed Care who can provide you with information. You can also e-mail any questions to

Free Medicare Seminars

Turning 65? Learn more about your Medicare benefits

Medicare Seminars

Are you looking for a Medicare primary care doctor as you turn 65? With our expanded primary care services and wide range of specialties, you can count on Loma Linda University Health to be there for you when you need it.

Many Loma Linda University Health doctors are available to serve as your Medicare primary care provider.

Using a computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can learn about your Medicare choices: hospital (Part A), physician (Part B), Medicare Advantage plans (Part C), and prescription drug coverage (Part D).

Low Income Subsidy may help pay for your Medicare prescription premiums and medications. Find out if you qualify.

Call 833-409-9410 to set up a private meeting or to accommodate persons with special needs. A salesperson will be at the seminar with information and applications. Medicare has neither reviewed nor endorsed this information. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I enroll in Medicare?

If you are currently collecting Social Security benefits, then you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. You will receive a card 90 days prior to your 65th birthday. If you are not collecting Social Security benefits, you will have to actively enroll yourself into Medicare by going online to or

How much does Medicare cost?

Medicare Part A is the Hospital coverage, and there is no monthly premium for that. However, if you use the coverage, there is a $1288 deductible for each hospital stay. Medicare Part B is the outpatient Medical coverage. There is a monthly premium of $121.80 if you are new to Part B, an annual deductible of $166, and 20% co-insurance for services, hence, leaving “gaps” in the Medicare coverage.

How do I fill the gaps of coverage?

Many people take advantage of the rich Medicare Advantage programs available to us in Southern California. These programs are considered Medicare Part C. The Medicare deductibles are satisfied by these programs. Many of the Medicare Advantage plans have no monthly premiums and have very low co-pays for services.

These programs are run by private insurance companies that have contracts with the federal government in order to administer a Medicare beneficiary’s A, B and D benefits in one bundled plan. The programs include HMO’s, PPO’s and private Fee-for-Service plans. The private insurance companies get paid by the government for each member each month. Many of the plans are network-based and many times require the member to choose a primary care physician. The primary care physician refers the member to his or her network of specialists and hospitals.

Medicare Advantage also bundles the drug coverage, or Medicare Part D, into the health plan with no additional premium.

Medicare Part C = Part A + Part B + Part D.

Medicare Parts A and B get you via the Social Security Administration. Medicare Parts C and D get you through an agent or broker who represents a private insurance company.

What if I do not want an HMO?

If you want the freedom to go to any doctor who accepts Medicare and the freedom to self-refer to specialists, a “supplement” or “Medigap” plan may be your preferred route. You can also fill in the gaps in Medicare by purchasing a supplement. Locally, a supplement for a 65 year old will run around $140, depending on the insurance carrier. Then you would have to purchase a separate Part D plan, or prescription plan. That may run anywhere between $15-$104 per month. This is the most costly route, but it affords you the most freedom.

What if I have VA coverage? Do I still need to sign up for Medicare?

Yes, the VA encourages you to sign up for Part B, at least. If you delay signing up for Medicare Part B without proof of creditable coverage, you will be assessed penalties. VA medical coverage is not considered creditable coverage. You can have both Medicare and VA coverage simultaneously; they will not interfere with each other. They just give you two sets of healthcare providers from which to choose when you need care. The VA, however, does provide creditable prescription coverage. So you would be able to delay having a Part D plan without a penalty.

What if I want to keep my employer coverage and not pay the $121.80 for Medicare?

You can delay enrolling in Part B if you have creditable coverage through an employer. The coverage is creditable when it is considered as good as or better than Medicare’s coverage. When you lose the employer coverage, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, you can activate your Medicare coverage. But the time frame is limited, so you would want to let Social Security know as soon as you know the employer coverage will be ending. Many times, coverage you get through Medicare and a supplement is less expensive than employer coverage.