All applicants are required to provide all documentation listed below prior to the application being processed for consideration:
- A completed Application for Graduate Medical Education Form OR Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application. Applications from other central applications services associated with match programs are also accepted for those specialties.
- Current curriculum vitae. Please account for all time periods since graduation from medical school;
- Photocopy of medical school diploma (or evidence of anticipated graduation prior to appointment) from a medical school acceptable to the State of California and translation if not in English;
- Official medical school transcript(s), and translation if not in English;
- Evidence of having achieved a passing score on at least two of the following examinations:
- USMLE Step 1
- USMLE Step 2
- COMLEX I
- COMLEX II
- Recommendation letters from each of the following (through ERAS or ORIGINAL documents):
- Dean's letter from the medical school of graduation
- Program director for each prior training program - written or electronic verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation must be provided
- Two reference letters from physicians currently acquainted with applicant
- Letter of good standing from licensing board of any state where applicant has been licensed
- A letter from the Medical Staff Office of any facility where staff privileges have been held
- All applicants must possess a valid work permit prior to the date the rank order list is submitted to the matching program or prior to a position being offered. This includes United States citizenship, permanent residency, eligibility for a J-1 visa sponsored by ECFMG, an existing H1-B visa for study of medicine from another US GME program and an F-1 visa held by a medical student studying medicine in the US who requires an H1-B to continue their education.
- All applicants must have successfully completed the appropriate training prescribed for beginning their specific residency or fellowship program by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
International medical school graduates are required to submit the following ADDITIONAL documentation:
- A Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) will no longer be required for international medical school graduates
- ECFMG Standard Certificate with valid date
- Scores for examinations used to qualify for the ECFMG Certificate.
Additional documentation may be required by the Graduate Medical Education Office (GMEO), the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC), or the specific GME program prior to acting on a completed application.
All completed applications must be processed and approved by the GME Office or GMEC PRIOR to listing an applicant on a Rank Order list or granting an official offer of acceptance, which is issued by the GME Office.