“My personal goal is to partner with my patients in treatment decisions, empower them with the knowledge they need to make the right choice for them, and ultimately help them live their lives to the fullest."
Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is the term for a group of conditions that damage the lungs. These conditions cause inflammation and scarring of what’s known as the interstitium. This is the name for the lung tissue between the air sacs and the blood vessels. The inflammation and scarring of this tissue makes it difficult for your body to take in oxygen. Over time, it becomes more difficult for you to breathe.
ILD is a rare but serious condition. It’s important that you see an experienced specialist who can diagnose and treat you in a timely manner. Loma Linda University Health’s Interstitial Lung Disease Program has the expertise to provide you with exceptional care.
Conditions We Treat
Our specialists have expertise treating complex interstitial lung diseases, including:
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Cystic lung disease
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Drug-induced ILD
- Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia
- Connective tissue disease-associated ILD
- And many others
Why Choose Us for ILD Care
- As the only academic medical center with an ILD program in the region, we are equipped to provide state-of-the-art care.
- Our pulmonologists work with a team of specialists in a multidisciplinary approach. The result is a precise diagnosis and the most effective individualized treatment plan.
- Obtaining an accurate diagnosis is crucial to the treatment of ILD. We provide specialized tests and procedures to discover and target the cause of the disease.
- Our specialists partner with you to help you make informed decisions about your path to recovery.
- We offer leading-edge ILD clinical trials for those who qualify — email us to learn more.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach
Because ILD has many causes, our pulmonologists work with a team of other specialists. Rheumatologists, radiologists, pathologists, and thoracic surgeons all work together to provide you with the absolute best quality of care. Our team identifies the exact type of ILD you have and determines how best to treat you and your unique situation.
Since ILD often requires long-term treatment, our first priority is making a precise diagnosis and estimating the severity of the disease. Before we start your treatment, we will perform some advanced tests to identify the exact issue affecting your lungs. These may include:
- An expanded panel of laboratory tests
- Comprehensive lung function testing
- High-resolution CT scanning
- Interventional pulmonary procedures (endobronchial ultrasound, electromagnetic navigation, cryobiopsies, transthoracic biopsies)
- Minimally invasive surgery
We offer a wide range of treatment options, including anti-inflammatory agents (to reduce inflammation), anti-fibrotic therapies (to prevent or reduce lung tissue scarring) and biologics (to suppress the immune response causing the inflammation).
The clinical course of ILD can be unpredictable. We closely monitor your symptoms and lung function, then modify your treatment plan as needed to optimize your care.