“[Love Rounds] have the magical ability of restoring the patient from simply a list of lab numbers, xrays, and a sick body in a bed, to a human being—not only in the eyes of the medical team, but oftentimes more importantly in the eyes of the patient themselves.”
Loma Linda University Health Education Consortium Family Medicine Residency Program provides a unique opportunity to train in a federally qualified health center (FQHC).
Loma Linda University Health is a faith-based institution where spirituality is incorporated in healthcare and service is important. You’ll serve patients in San Bernardino County, one of the most medically underserved areas (MUA) in the country.
We pride ourselves on whole person, team-based care.
- Residents practice whole person care in weekly "Love Rounds" where they help patients explore emotional, social and spiritual sources of support.
- Faculty members build collegial relationships with residents to facilitate a personalized environment of professional development.
- Residents find themselves among a diverse group of peers serving a diverse group of patients. We believe everyone deserves love and respect.
- We believe diversity is God’s creative expression. We’re committed to recruiting residents who value our mission and reflect our communities.
Our curriculum centers around the patient. Through unique learning environments and opportunities for professional growth, residents develop the skills necessary to best serve their patients.
Community Health Center
The residency continuity clinic is based out of the Social Action Corps Health System (SACHS). SACHS is a unique entity categorized as a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) but with the support of an academic institution. One of its strengths is housing over 10 specialties, promoting interdisciplinary collaboration.
SACHS clinic allows residents to provide care directly to the medically underserved population of San Bernardino. Serving these patients the best possible care is at the core of SACHS. Patients have access to resources and preventive services that they cannot usually afford, including:
- A pharmacy
- An imaging center
- A community resource center
As a resident, you have the opportunity for hands-on training in a state-of-the-art FQHC. You’ll gain experience serving populations deeply affected by health disparities. Your patients will be 90% minorities and 99% will be covered under Medi-Cal.
The clinic is co-located with the San Manuel Gateway College, which provides students hands-on training for various health careers. You’ll have the opportunity to share your knowledge and skills with students, building bridges that benefit community health.
SACHS offers a unique and advanced learning environment:
- Brand new 150,000 square foot facility
- 28 exam room family medicine clinic
- Procedure suite
- Point-of-care ultrasound
- On-site pharmacy
- Integrated behavioral health
- 25,000+ visits annually
- 99% Medi-Cal (Medicaid)
- 90% minorities, 57% Hispanic/Latino
- 62% women; 25% children; 12% geriatrics
- SACHS is surrounded by 15 medically underserved area census tracts
One of the unique features on our inpatient medicine rotation is participating on weekly “Love Rounds.” Love Rounds let you practice whole-person care through weekly patient interviews. Residents connect with patients by asking about emotional, social and spiritual sources of support. In this way, you’ll learn how your patients are coping during their illness and how you can provide better care.
Many residents indicate that Love Rounds is one of the most impactful and memorable integrated whole person care training experiences.