As we navigate these unprecedented times, we urge families not to delay care for essential eye care visits. In compliance with state and institution guidelines, we are taking an abundance of precautions to help protect the safety of your family and our team members.
The department of pediatric ophthalmology at Loma Linda University has a team of eye specialists ready to serve your child. We care for infants and children with diverse visual, medical, and developmental needs. Our top priority is providing comprehensive care for pediatric eye conditions, all in a kid-friendly environment.
We are actively involved in clinical research in strabismus, amblyopia, retinopathy of prematurity and vision screenings. Through both patient care and research, we are committed to giving children the best vision possible.
Conditions We Treat
The doctors in the department of pediatric ophthalmology specialize in diagnosing and treating eye conditions including those listed below. We also treat eye problems related to other diseases such as craniosynostosis, diabetes, genetic disorders, and juvenile arthritis. The pediatric ophthalmologists also treat adults with strabismus because of their expertise in correcting eye misalignment.
- Amblyopia (Abnormal vision development)
- Astigmatism (Abnormal curvature of the front of the eye)
- Cataract (Clouding of the lens inside of the eye)
- Chalazion / Hordeolum (Stye or infection/inflammation of oil glands along eyelid)
- Corneal abrasions (Scratch to the front surface of the eye)
- Conjunctivitis (Eye infection)
- Esotropia (inward crossed eyes)
- Exotropia (outward turned eye)
- Eye injuries
- Glaucoma (Condition causing damage to the eye’s connection to the brain (optic nerve)
- Hyperopia (Far-sightedness)
- Nasal lacrimal duct obstruction (Blocked tear duct)
- Ptosis (Droopy eye lid)
- Retinopathy of prematurity (Abnormal blood vessel growth in the retina of premature infants)
Services We Offer
Here in the department of pediatric ophthalmology, we pride ourselves on excellent patient care. Our services include:
- Surgical care for pediatric eye conditions
- Eye wellness examinations
- Medically necessary and standard contact lens fittings
- Myopia control
- Community outreach through George P. Cheng, MD Children’s Vision Screening Program