In 2008, more than 745,000 men were diagnosed with some type of cancer. While the type of cancer a person develops will depend on genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors, the most prevalent types of cancer in men are prostate, lung and colorectal cancer.
All-too-common and life-threatening, cancer is a severe condition that kills more than 560,000 Americans annually. Given the prevalence and severity of cancer in men, effective and cutting-edge cancer treatment is more crucial and relevant than ever.
Why Choose Us for Men's Cancer Care
- Personalized care: Your unique health needs are at the center of our approach to care. We work with you to determine the best possible treatments to meet your health goals.
- All the specialists you need: Our specialized teams treat a variety of cancers that affect men, including but not limited to brain, blood, prostate, bladder, liver, colon, bone, skin, and lung cancers
- Innovative research: Our researchers test new ways to care for men with cancer, offering you potential new treatments through ongoing clinical trials.
- Whole person care: We care for the whole person, not just the condition or symptoms. You’ll find resources that support your physical, mental, and spiritual health.
Types of Cancer Treatments
A man's precise course of cancer treatment will vary depending on the type and severity of his condition; however, in most cases, cancer treatment regimens at Loma Linda University Health involve some combination of:
- Proton radiation treatment – the practice of radiating precise, high-energy protons to a focused area of the body to kill malignant cells while minimizing the potential damage to surrounding healthy tissues. Loma Linda University Health is known as the international leader of proton radiation therapy for cancer treatment.
- Photon or x-ray radiation treatment
- Robotic and minimally invasive surgery – the use of robotic instruments to conduct a surgery that requires fewer incisions, perforations and invasive penetrations to the body than typical open surgery for that same procedure
- Traditional open surgery to remove tumors
Because Loma Linda University Health has a holistic approach to healthcare, our cancer treatment methods also focus on helping men and their families cope with the psychiatric and emotional damage resulting from their condition. To this end, Loma Linda University Health's cancer treatment may also include:
- Family therapy
- Private therapy
- Support groups
- Medication for depression or other mental/emotional afflictions