Seasoned with chili and cumin, sweet potatoes wedges make a spectacular base for tacos. Add your favorite toppings, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime, and the dish is complete. We prefer warmed corn tortillas, doubled up to hold all the goodness, but a flour tortilla wrapped into a burrito also works wonders!
Recipe: Honey lime sweet potato tacos
Servings per recipe: 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs Sweet potatoes, peeled if desired and sliced into 1/2-inch sticks
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika, smoked
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 sm Red onion, sliced (1 Cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Warm Corn or flour tortillas
- Green and purple cabbage, cotija (monterrey or manchengo would also be good), diced avocados, fresh salsa or pico de gallo and hot sauce (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a baking mat or line a baking sheet. Drizzle sweet potato sticks with 3 Tbsp olive oil and toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle evenly with cumin, paprika, coriander, chili powder and season lightly with salt to taste then toss to evenly coat. Bake in pre-heated oven 15 - 20 minutes until tender, removing from oven and tossing once halfway through baking.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and sauté until caramelized (golden brown on edges and tender), about 5 - 6 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sautéing. Reduce heat to medium-low, add in honey and lime juice. Heat until warmed through. Toss in roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro. Serve over warm tortillas with desired toppings.